"In order to be irreplaceable, one must be different" - Coco Chanel

Friday, January 01, 2010

End of an era...

Happy New Year fellow fashion addicts (hope you are not too hung over whilst reading this ha!)

At the beginning of a new decade I feel this is a good time to reflect on two of the most influential people (I feel) in the past 10 years.

I have many style idols, the list is ever growing. However, there are two icons that resonate the most and they are Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. I remember going to the hairdresser and getting my hair cut like them after I had watched 'Passport to Paris' and I have grown up constantly obsessing over their amazing natuaral style. I know they are not everyone's cup of tea and I know I could never pull off some of their hobo-chic looks, but I cannot deny my true adoration for them! I have their book Influence and it was fascinating; they are two girls/moguls that have made a living (a very good one at that) doing things that they love and are truely passionate about.

The mini moguls have to brands Elizabeth and James and The Row; I am yet to be privaleged enough to own a piece from either but it's on my 'To Buy...' list. I love the effortlessness of their style and can only begin to dream about what their wardrobe must look like. I love the parisienne chic look of Ashley and the thrown together hobo/boho chic look of Mary Kate and their general originality/uniqueness.

Style.com too share my view that they have had a tremendous impact on the fashion industry this decade: http://www.style.com/stylefile/2009/12/what-would-the-00s-have-been-without-the-olsens/

Here are just a few of my favourite Olsen images (this took ALOT of whittling down):